A self-drive tour is a fantastic way to experience Iceland´s natural wonders at a flexible pace, from waterfalls to glaciers and everything in between. As a well-established local travel agency, we are able to provide our self-drive customers an excellent selection of vehicles from a reputable car rental agency as well as plenty of tools to help navigate Iceland with ease and discover hidden gems along the way.
For your own unforgettable road trip in Iceland, you can select one of our popular self-drive tours or request your own custom-made itinerary by using our tour customisation form. We also offer 4x4 adventure tours for those who want to go off the beaten path!
Rental car types for Iceland: (see details)
|A||Hyundai i20 or similar||Manual|
|B||VW Golf or similar||Manual|
|C||Toyota Corolla or similar||Manual|
|D||Skoda Octavia Station or similar||Automatic|
|E||Toyota RAV or similar||Automatic AWD|
|F||Land Rover Discovery SPORT or similar||Automatic AWD|
|G||Toyota Land Cruiser or similar||Automatic 4x4|
|H||Land Rover Discovery or similar||Automatic 4x4|
|I||Hyundai H1 or similar||Manual|
|J||Land Rover Defender or similar||Manual 4x4|
Included in all rentals:
• Basic liability insurance coverage
• Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
• Unlimited mileage
• Free in-car unlimited Wi-Fi
• Authorisation for two drivers (extra fee for additional drivers)
• GPS navigation system
• Free pick-up and drop-off service within opening hours
• Icelandic VAT @ 25.5%
• Fuel or oil
• Overnight parking at hotels
• Parking fees, parking fines, or towing charges
• Fines for traffic violations
• Fees for ferries, tunnels, or toll roads
• Negligent vehicle damage (e.g., due to incorrect fuel, alcohol/drug use, off-road driving, etc.)
• Insurance upgrades (e.g. theft of personal belongings, personal injury, roadside assistance, etc.)
• Additional driver(s)
• Child seat
• Other special equipment (e.g. snow chains, roof rack, etc.) subject to availability
*Optional features are available for an additional fee and can be selected at the local car rental office at the time of pick-up.
Payment information: A valid credit card is required by the car rental company - your rental agent will make an imprint of your card for security reasons when you come to collect your car. Your voucher covers the cost of the rental, but the imprint may be used to pay any extra charges or cost due to the use of the rented vehicle. Most major credit cards are accepted, and the credit card must be in the driver’s name. No cash is accepted.
• The minimum rental age is 21 for most car groups. Drivers aged 19 - 21 are subject to a young driver surcharge.
• A valid national driver’s license, which has been held for at least one year, is required for all rentals. An International Driver’s Permit (IDP) may also be required.
• Vehicles travel on the right side of the road in all Nordic countries.
• We strongly recommend a AWD or 4X4 vehicle when traveling during the period between October through April.
Nordic Visitor provides all self-drive customers with:
• All travel vouchers
• Hard copy of customised itinerary
• Detailed map(s) with accommodations marked
• Information about local driving regulations
• Mobile phone and charger (for temporary use while travelling) with 500 ISK worth of call-time
• 24-hour helpline number
• Highlights of Iceland booklet; includes helpful information about travelling in Iceland and details about unique attractions that you may wish to visit along your drive