VISIT ICELAND'S MAIN ATTRACTIONS
No matter the time of year, there's something for everyone in Iceland. To experience the best of Iceland's tourist attractions, it's ideal to do a road trip or guided small group tour around the entire country. On a journey of 10 days or longer around the famous Ring Road (Route 1) you can experience dramatically shifting landscapes, from mossy lava fields and rocky sea cliffs to volcanic black sand beaches and moonlike geothermal areas.
Here are the types of attractions you can experience in each region of Iceland:
- South Iceland is famous for its "fire and ice" attractions, including Thingvellir National Park, Vatnajökull National Park, the Jökulsárlón glacier lagoon, the gorgeous coastline near Vík and numerous waterfalls including Seljalandsfoss, Gullfoss and Skógafoss.
- East Iceland is characterised by tranquil fjord scenery, herds of wild reindeer and colourful villages, including the artsy town of Seyðisfjörður.
- North Iceland is best known for its charming town of Akureyri, the whale watching village of Húsavík and the volcanic craters and steaming hot springs near Lake Mývatn.
- West Iceland is quiet and mountainous, with the focal point being the primitive-looking landscapes of Snæfellsjökull National Park on the Snæfellsnes peninsula.
- The West Fjords is Iceland's most remote region, with small fishing villages, quirky museums, wonderful bird watching cliffs and narrow, fjord-hugging roads.
To visit Iceland's main attractions at your own pace, as well as discover some hidden gems along the way, we recommend a self-drive tour. However, it's possible to experience many of Iceland's most famous sights, including the Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle route, during a short break in Reykjavik. Guided excursions from the capital city are available year-round, even at Christmastime. Within Reykjavik itself there are numerous things to see and do, including thermal pools, whale watching cruises, northern lights tours, numerous museums and more.
— WHY US?
Why book with Nordic Visitor
- Hassle-free & seamless travel experience
- Flexible & customisable tour options
- Value for your money
- Professional service from local experts